02 April, 2014

In the Studio #5: More Fairies!!!

Today (March 27th) is a much nicer day in the backwoods of Pennsylvania (meaning it's supposed to get above 40 degrees today), so I did a bit more work on Crocker outside. 

With Crocker's wing armatures finished, I decided that it was time to fire up the dremel. Of course as soon as I was ready to head outside, my dremel battery died, so I had an hour to waste. Then we headed out.


If you're interested, my tools were a Dremel, two different drill bits, some sandpaper, a rasp, and of course, the body. Time to mutilate!


I found that the drill wasn't working as well as I'd hoped, in that the hole wasn't going deep enough. Also, it was about 20 degrees out, so I was starting to lose feeling in my fingers. I headed inside and asked my dad if he had a real drill. Of course, he did.


Once again I was banished to the dungeons, where there are spiders. Spiders are not my friends. Especially since the incident where I came face to face with a wolf spider (kinda like a tarantula that bites), but I won't get into that. While I drilled, I had my boyfriend stand on spider-watch duty. He's far braver than I am. 

I found out quickly that this thing is not only loud, but it smells. Perhaps it was because it's older than dirt, but it smelled very odd, and I figured it probably wasn't good to breathe in. So I grabbed some safety gear.


And by safety gear I mean my dad's noise-cancelling headphones and a scarf from when I was about four years old wrapped around my face. I know, I'm unbelievably attractive here.

Well, it turned out the smelly, heavy, ancient drill worked. I bored the holes in Crocker with no problem, widened them to the correct size, and fit the wings in. I also discovered that Stablemates are hollow. Who knew!


Okay, a bit wobbly, but they'll be glued in once they're done. Either way, success!





























No comments:

Post a Comment