11 August, 2015

In the Studio #10: Springtime Hummingbirds (and a Bonus!)

This year's Blab Spring Swap was done a little differently. This time we knew who our victims were, as we were also their victim! It was actually a fun experience, though I do love a surprise. 

My partner is a fan of bays, appaloosas, hummingbirds, and Tennessee Walking Horses. So I combined them!

Meet Kolibri! (koh-lee-bree, with a rolled 'r') I wasn't able to incorporate many hummingbird elements this time around, hence his nickname, the Swedish word meaning 'hummingbird'. (I'm taking Swedish lessons.) I was inspired by an old custom of mine, who was a cherry bay blanket appy. I redid a similar pattern on Kolibri, only better. His spots and whites came out much nicer, and for the first time, I did a gradient tail!


It was time-consuming to get it just right, but it was fun, and the result was beautiful. I did it in the same way I did Orlando's dapples, by blending two wet paints together with a stippling motion from a harder-bristled brush.


Wanting to add a hummingbird element to him, I painted his ribbons metallic green (Folk Art's 'Christmas Green', which I bought long ago for Crispy Bacon.

(Sorry about my feet)



He's such a handsome boy, and his owner loves him.
But he wasn't alone in the sealing box!




As you can see, Taskin has been finished. He's now hanging out on my shelf, plotting the destruction of Lego Moria.

More horses to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment